From Reena’s Kooky Kitchen
A series of kooky yet nutritious recipes I concoct daily to feed my taste buds AND my health! Hope you enjoy and please share comments if you are brave enough to try these recipes!
Creamiest Yummiest Vegan Mocha with Just 2 Ingredients
I love experimenting with food in my quest for tasty health.
After all, you can only do deprivation diets for so long, right?
When I gave up my three Starbucks Mochas a day 2 years ago, it actually wasn’t that tough. I was giving up everything I loved, from brownies to banana bread, so there wasn’t much time to obsess over the loss of my Mocha.
Fast forward to today and I have brought back everything into my diet except for two things: alcohol and coffee. Why? Because moderation is not my middle name. I fear if I start these two I won’t stop at one a day. I will be back to the constant battle between control and cravings. So, for now, I am committed to living the rest of my life without caffeine and alcohol.
While travelling to meet Dr. Kristin Comella, Chief Scientist at US Stem Cell Corp, in Florida I had to pass 2 Starbucks on each flight. I got desperate just smelling that delicious brew smell wafting around the airport. Then I got creative.
I rummaged around and found my Muscle Pharm vegan protein powder which I carry with me as a backup. I also took out my little plastic bag of Dandi Blend which serves as a healthy coffee replacement most mornings.
Sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport I had this divine inspiration out of desperation to blend them both in hot water. The instructions for the protein powder are to mix it with cold water. So typically I blend it with half a glass of cold water and gulp it like a supplement whenever I haven’t had enough protein for the day. I had no idea what would happen if I blended it in hot water.
I got the hot water from the airport Starbucks then poured about half a packet of protein powder in along with 1 large scoop of Dandiblend. I mixed it up with a plastic spoon and tasted the creamiest bit of mocha heaven!
The new drink got thicker after a few minutes and the stevia in the protein powder gives it the mild sweetness that was oh so satisfying!
So if you’re trying to find a healthier replacement, give this a shot! You can buy both on Amazon.
- 1/2 packet of Muscle Pharm Vegan Protein Powder
- 1 large tablespoon Dandi Blend
- 1 large glass of hot water
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 Tsp of pure cacao powder for a heavier chocolate taste
- Add extra stevia or monk fruit to make it sweeter
Mix all ingredients together in hot water, wait for it to thicken for 60 seconds and enjoy!
- Dandelion: Dandelion is loaded with trace minerals and potassium, iron and calcium. Dandelion is reputed historically to be an excellent liver tonic and blood purifier, and one of the best diuretics, complete with its own potassium source.
- Chicory root powder: It May Improve Digestive Health. Chicory root is a good source of fiber, which may help improve several aspects of your digestive health. … This is because chicory contains inulin fiber, a type of prebiotic that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Vegan Protein powder: Switching from an animal-based protein to a vegan protein powder may be beneficial for anyone who is looking to increase cardiovascular health and lower cholesterol. One of the main benefits of switching to a plant-based diet is that fruits and vegetables are loaded with healthy fibers that naturally improve digestion.
- Just 90 Calories of heaven! A half a packet of Muscle Pharm is just 90 calories and Dandi Blend is basically calorie free, resulting in an extremely low calorie, low fat, low carb yet super nutritious and delicious drink.
Never miss her articles, subscribe to our blog alerts here >