By Dr. Joel Kahn
For the Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium tart apple (like Granny Smith)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Stevia/Monk fruit to taste
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil ( you can make the dressing without oil too)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Microgreens for adding just before serving
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts.
- Thinly slice.
- Slice the apple and red onion in the same manner.
- Combine in a large bowl.
- Toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly browned, about two minutes.
- Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Add to the Brussels sprout mixture.
- Toss to combine.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients into a jar.
- Close the lid and shake until well-combined.
- Pour over the Brussels sprout mixture, and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Tip: You can buy a bag of shredded Brussel sprouts at Trader Joe. You can use here and also add a handful to any salad you make.