– 5 mins
– 25 mins
– 30 mins
A total bowl of health. This baby will make colds run away in horror.
Calories: 31 kcal
Author: Sam Turnbull • It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
For the Broth:
- 2 L vegetable broth (8 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves (the spice)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced into coins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soy sauce to taste
- 1 package zucchini noodles
For the Toppings (use whatever combo you like):
- Fresh basil (Thai basil is preferable if you can find it)
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- Fresh green onions
- Mung bean sprouts
- Hot peppers (I like Mirasol peppers, which are long, red, and not very spicy)
- Sautéed mushrooms (I like shiitakes)
- Sautéed tofu
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- Add the broth, water, onion, garlic, star anise, whole cloves, ginger, and cinnamon, to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and add soy sauce as needed. The amount you need will vary a bit depending on your taste preference and how salty the broth you used is, I used 2 tablespoons.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil and cook your rice noodles. Follow the package directions or if there are none, cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the noodles cooking.
- When everything is ready, serve by adding zucchini noodles to a bowl, using a ladle to collect the broth (leaving the onion and spices behind), and then top with garnishes of choice.