From Reena’s Kooky Kitchen
A series of kooky yet nutritious recipes I concoct daily to feed my taste buds AND my health! Hope you enjoy, and please share comments if you are brave enough to try these recipes!
Pumpkin Almond Halwa
- 1.5 cup cooked and pureed pumpkin (I love acorn or butternut)
- 1 cup – Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon – Ghee, butter or avocado oil
- 1.5 teaspoon Monk fruit or stevia
- 1 tsp – Cardamom powder
- 2 to 3 cloves or 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 10 Strands of saffron soaking in 1/2 cup of warm water for 10 minutes till the color of water turns bright orange
- 2 tbs Blanched sliced almonds
- Heat the almond flour on low heat till lightly toasted. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn. Then add Ghee/butter/oil to the flour and blend while stirring well.
- Add saffron with water, cardamom, and cloves to the toasted flour and simmer for a few minutes till blended.
- Then add the pureed pumpkin to the simmering blend and cook well on medium to low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add stevia or monk fruit to taste and of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the finely grated pumpkin to the hot ghee and stir for a while until the pumpkin dries.
- Toss blanched almonds on top of the halwa.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- Pumpkin: Eating pumpkin is good for the heart. The fiber, potassium, and vitamin C content in pumpkin all support heart health. Studies suggest that consuming enough potassium may be almost as important as decreasing sodium intake for the treatment of hypertension, or high blood pressure.
- Almonds: Almonds contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E. The health benefits of almonds include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. They can also reduce hunger and promote weight loss.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil gives your body a healthy dose of antioxidants, which can halt free-radical damage in its tracks. This rich oil contains three times as many carotenoids as olive oil, helping your body fight off cancer and reduce the signs of aging. In addition, avocado oil contains vitamin E to boost immunity and protect your heart, eyes and more. Avocado oil contains special fat-based compounds to help our bodies utilize the nutrients from other food sources. Avocado oil contains a hearty amount of beta-sitosterol, which is used by our bodies to break down “bad” fats and turn them into something more beneficial. The carotenoid content in avocados can help to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells in vitro. A diet rich in avocado oil changed the levels of fatty acids in the kidneys, positively impacting blood pressure.
- Stevia: May Help Control Blood Sugar And Insulin Levels. Stevia May Lower Blood Pressure.
- Monk Fruit: Safe for diabetes. Monk fruit gets its sweetness from natural compounds called mogrosides. Promotes weight loss. Monk fruit has no calories, carbs, or fat, so it may be a great option for anyone watching their waistline. Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cardamom: Is an herb. The seeds and oil from the seeds are used to make medicine. Cardamom is used for digestion problems including heartburn, intestinal spasms, irritable bowel
- Cloves: Contain Important Nutrients. High in Antioxidants. May Protect Against Cancer. Can Kill Off Bacteria. May Improve Liver Health. May Help Regulate Blood Sugar. May Promote Bone Health. May Reduce Stomach Ulcers.
- Saffron: The benefits and medicinal properties of this highly priced spice, make it a valuable culinary ingredient worldwide. Modern research suggests that saffroncan be used as an aphrodisiac, diaphoretic [to cause sweating], carminative [to prevent gas] and to bring on mensuration.
Never miss her articles, subscribe to our blog alerts here >