By Dr. Joel Kahn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup veg broth( to sauté the veggies)
- 9 cups of water( or part vegetable broth)
- ¼ cup lentils, rinsed
- ¼ cup split peas, rinsed
- ¼ cup barley (do not use if the soup needs to be GF), rinsed
- 1 can -8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pkg frozen spinach (or fresh spinach or other leafy green of choice)
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ cup small shell pasta
- Cook chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in the ¼ cup broth til tender. Set aside
- Heat the 9 cups of broth/water to boiling.
- Add the grains.
- Cook for 15 mins.
- Then combine the onion-garlic mixture in Step 1 with tomato sauce, vinegar and spices.
- Cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender. Adjust the seasoning.
Tip: Use a mirepoix from Trader Joe to save time by chopping the onion, carrots, and celery. Add a can of rinsed beans when you add the pasta. When the soup is a few days old, spoon some on a baked potato for another meal. GF- is gluten free