By Dr. Joel Kahn
- 2 cups green split peas, rinsed
- 2 large carrots, washed, cut into pieces
- 2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 an onion diced small
- 1 medium potato (can use a sweet potato), diced
- 8 cups water (or ½ water ½ broth)
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, pour a little of the water and sauté the garlic and onion. Add the rest of the water/broth and add the peas.
- Cook for about 30 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cook another 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool. Remove the bay leaf. Use an immersion blender to make the soup the consistency you choose.
- You can throw in some spinach to increase your greens
Soups are great because they last a few days. You can pour some on a baked potato or pasta for a quick meal too.