By Dr. Joel
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron Threads( you can get these at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 cup Mushrooms, Sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped or 1 -14oz can or box diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (fresh or defrosted)
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1 15 oz can Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained( I use Eden organic)
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- In a small bowl, add the saffron threads to 3 tablespoons warm water, let sit 10 minutes to steep.
- In a medium saucepan heat small amount of the broth. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced red and yellow pepper and continue to saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms softened and release liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add a third of the broth, then Add the rice, tomato and smoked paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until well mixed through.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add one-third of the saffron and stir.
- Let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add the next third of the stock and cook for 5 minutes uncovered or until almost absorbed.
- Add remaining third of stock and cook for 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Add the garbanzo beans, stir the mixture.
- Sprinkle surface of paella with peas and artichoke hearts.
- Cover entire pan with tin foil and leave to cook on a low heat for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, turn the heat off but leave the paella pan covered with tin foil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove tin foil after 10 minutes and garnish with parsley.
Tip: You can add leftover spinach, or any other veggies in the fridge when you add the peas.